All month long, our contributor Preeti Sidhu will be giving you weekly recipes designed to help you put together the perfect Indian-American Thanksgiving. First up, this sweet potato chaat, a very popular Indian street food in winter months and a traditional Indian take on the American sweet potato.
600 grams sweet potato
1/4 teaspoon cumin powder
½ teaspoon red chili powder
1 teaspoon chaat masala
½ teaspoon black salt
1 teaspoon lemon juice, dissolved in 2 tablespoons water
5 tablespoons tamarind chutney
1. Roast sweet potato in oven at 400˚F for approximately 45 minutes until cooked.
2. Peel the skin and cut into cubes.
3. Heat 5 tablespoons desi ghee, and sauté sweet potatoes until slightly charred.
4. In a separate bowl, sprinkle sweet potatoes with red chili powder, chaat masala, black salt, lemon juice, cumin powder and tamarind chutney.
5. Garnish with coriander and pomegranate pearls.
Preeti Sidhu is a dentist turned chef, who specializes in private catering, cooking lessons, and menu development.